Wednesday, September 2, 2009

252 - Anger as an avoidance mechanism.

Anger is a secondary emotion. It is sometimes an important emotion/energy we can use to protect ourselves and our loved ones when we need to do that. More often than not however, our anger hides the primary emotions of shame, fear, or sadness or some combination of those feelings. Often we unconsciously avoid feeling these primary emotions by going to anger. When we feel angry we can slow ourselves down and look at what emotion may be driving the anger, giving ourselves the opportunity to do some healing.
Peace,
Ken

www.kenlewiscounselor.net

1 comment:

  1. I totally see this shame blog. This happened to me today. I was getting angry over something dumb...but that is really shame telling me its dumb. So to slow down and look for the feelings that are trying to hide is a good one, cause then I can bring compassion...thanks

    ReplyDelete